Friday, August 21, 2009

Morality-Integrity-Family


I visited one of my favorite social groups this morning. One post stood out. This member was sadly sharing the news of, yet another, innocent bystander in critical condition after being shot in a drive-by shooting. This young 13 year-old girl was riding her bicycle, and just happened to be riding by when the shooting occurred. The member asked within her post, and I quote, "Why is it that we have gotten to the point where life seems to be just so unimportant? Are we as a people so selfish and self centered that we don't even consider the consequences of our actions?". End of quote.

So many thoughts ran through my mind and I responded with just a few of my thoughts. Another member commented on my response, and suggested that I blog my response. And so, we have my blog entry for today.

I think our situation today is due to many factors. I believe it has to do with the fact that we are literally hanging ourselves with the interpretation of our rights, both God given and constitutionally given. Here is only a few examples of where I'm coming from.

I love the right to freedom of speech but abhor the violence, language ... and overall messages being delivered in movies, songs, TV & video games. I love our religious freedoms, but I am furious that in our celebration of everyone's belief and ideology, many of us are now not allowed to pray in schools or business meetings. It's now politically correct to say "holiday tree" instead of "Christmas tree".

In respecting others views on marriage, divorce and sexuality, we have become a nation where it is accepted as normal that 50% of mariages will fail ... and do ...(2007 statistics-http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/mardiv_tables.htm). It's common place for men to have fathered children with several women, with no regard to the welfare of the children. And, in fairness, many women have that same attitude.

There is so much more to this equation, and stay tune ... I'll probably will be sharing my opinion on the other factors very soon, as is my nature.

I just think we need to step back and take a look at where we are and where we had rather be, and then start joining forces to make this a better world. Notice I didn't say go back to a better time. There were times that were simpler with no media or technology, but those weren't necessarily better times for individuals. Obviously the 60's were times of turmoil ... and so it goes.

No, I think that "better times" should start today. And it starts with some good old fashion standards of morality, integrity and family.

6 comments:

  1. Debbie,

    I love the way you wrote this because I, too, have issues with the times we live in and the interpretation of what and why things are happening. Better times start with each NEW day--because it's an opportunity to share joy, peace and love with others and to make a difference. I am SOOOOOOOO GLAD you are a part of BDN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We get to make the difference, Debbie. Every generation laments the "decline" of the next one. The good news is, (yes, there's always good news) we get to make the difference - one indivdual at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a real 'dynamo' mate, and I love it! :)
    Thought about all said, then looked at the tools modern technology has given us....here we are, world's apart, but totally in-sync with a wonderful rhythm, blogging!
    It's here,we unite the world-
    Our thoughts exposed to join others, while the chain-reaction builds HOPE!

    Thanks for being a link :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beverly: My thanks for your kind words. I am so blessed to be a part of BDN. I am so looking forward to meeting my sisters in Raleigh! We are getting closer to the event!

    Debra: So very true. And I do believe that we are demanding to be heard more than ever before, and making the efforts neccessary to do so.

    Debbie: This coming from my "sock-it-to-um" Aussie star, lol, thank you. Yep, I give gratitude to all the social media allowing us to create a sisterhood which allows us to support and encourage one another, and that inables us to help one another "get the word out".

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much of life is always a mixed blessing in all its glory, isn't it? Even the Bible--excuse me, folks, for those who'd rather not hear Bible quotes ... I'm not quoting, I'm paraphrasing, & badly, no less, "All things that work for good...." can be used for not-good. From earliest days we learn what's right, almost thru osmosis. I believe we all really know what's right, deep inside, & know when we do something that goes against that basic truth.

    That's what it all comes down to. What is, bottom line, the right thing to do--in any situation? If we'd more often ask that question of ourselves before making a move in any situation, there'd be less negative, less hurtfulness to others.

    That's my goal. I always try & in trying, sometimes I actually make my goal. ; >

    ReplyDelete
  6. You bring to light several important and core issues that need to be discussed and addressed. So many solid fundamentals of society seem to have fallen by the wayside and I'm grateful that you are helping to focus our attention on this upsetting trend.
    I agree, we need to move forward starting today. And what could be better than renewing our commitment to morality, integrity and family? You said it all and I'm listening!

    ReplyDelete