Sunday, August 16, 2009




You've heard it every where else, and you are going to hear it here as well. Michael Vick is now "flying with the Eagles" To say that "feathers are being ruffled" is an understatement.

I'm still not convinced that he is sorry for the hideous criminal acts he committed or just sorry that he got caught and had to pay a price for it. So far, the only atonement I've seen has been court-ordered atonement. And, I'm not so sure the humble words tumbling out of his mouth are coming from his heart, or from a carefully scripted speech drawn up by his lawyers.

His case and the annoucement of his conditional reinstatement is now being compared by some with the Donte Stallworth incident. Donte is a wide-receiver for the Cleveland Browns. He has recently been placed on a one year suspension by the NFL for his part in a DUI vehicle manslaughter case. Donte will also be spending 30 days in jail, last I heard. There are those who feel that Vick is being treated unfairly in comparison with the light sentence that Stallworth received. I whole-heartedly agree that Stallworth got off incredibly easy. I understand that Stallworth took a life due to his drinking and driving. I think the laws should be a heck of lot tougher. However, to say what Donte did is worse because it is a human and that a dog's life is less important frosts my butt! Yep, I said the "butt" word.

In my opinion, animals are beautiful creatures sent from God. Dogs at least are said to have the mental capacity for understanding words of a two-year old child. Given the right loving home, they are warm, caring and nurturing animals. They are living beings, just as we are. The big difference is that they are trusting animals who depend on us for their safety and well-being and give so much back in return.

My thoughts are this. Stallworth did intend on going out and drinking that night. He did intend on drinking and partying all night. And, he did intend on driving home without any reservations. And, he's probably done the very same thing numerous times. However, I don't believe that he also intended to take a life that last fateful night. Again, just for the record, I absolutely think that the light sentence he got was ludicrious.

My point is this. Michael Vick knew of ... and according to official court documents ... did take part in the torture of animals on his property which included the hanging of dogs, the drowning of dogs, and the electrocution of dogs. This wasn't one time ... but time and time again! He intended for these actions to talk place over and over again. This wasn't a one-time bad decision with consequences he would regret later. This was a repeated horrendous criminal act.

Now, admittedly, I am not the most forgiving person on the earth. But I do know that time will tell the real Michael Vick story and, at the end of the day, the real Michael Vick will step forward. I will also admit that he will not have an easy time of it and that there are people out there that will scrutinize everything he does. One false move, could mean jail time again. And let's face it, the Eagles are not doing this out of love...they are doing it out of greed. If the new Vick doesn't perform on the football field like the old Vick, he will not be around publicly for us to judge, one way or another.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you Debbie. Both of them received ridiculously lenient sentences. Unfortunatley, these events not only make a statement about the people involved, but also about our society as a whole. Just because they are professional athletes they receive special treatment? I find it hard to believe that if you or I had been involved in either of these incidents, we wouldn't be facing some serious consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with you Melodiann. I watched Monday night preseason last night (My Panthers were playing) and they were praising the return of MV, and it was as if they were "force feeding" his return on the viewers. I guess that are circling around the wagons in an effort to minimize the negative reaction that is bound to take place the first time MV walks onto the football field. Not working in my case. Just making me sicker of him by the minute. He wants a second chance, fine, get a low profile job, and start local youth community projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all about money. Money, money, money. If Vick couldn't bring the team lots of it--& as you say, Debbie, if he doesn't deliver now that he's on the block--he'd still be sitting in his mansion with a ring around his ankle.

    Now, MY butt frosts (oooh, it's gettin' icy in here!) at this idea of what's good for certain people isn't good for others. Vick gets off because he can make a team lots of bucks. A regular John Doe would be fried for what Vick did ... or less.

    What about the Survivor guy, Richard Hatch, jailed regarding his taxes? His taxes, mind you! I don't believe that not paying your taxes is right--don't misquote me--but, heck, how many of our government officials were let off scott free because, well, because Obama wanted them in his cabinet? "Oh, they just forgot ... they didn't do that on purpose?!"

    For the record, I'm no Richard Hatch fan. He nauseates me. Yet let's be real here. What's right is right. What's wrong is wrong. That's why we have laws, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete